Monday, October 17, 2005

Are the Cards Doomed?

Sunday's are usually laid back and light hearted in the McMenamy household. We go to church, then usually the commissary for our shopping, then we return home for our designated weekly nap with the dogs. Then we usually grill out or bake something a little extra special and enjoy a slow(er) paced meal together. Then we cozy up on the couch to watch Desperate Housewives. Yesterday began like any other Sunday, but when we awoke from our nap we discovered the Cardinal's game was ACTUALLY on! The past few games have not been, because ESPN seems to favor the White Sox. So we were hopeful and excited. But any St. Louis Cardinal's fan knows where this is going...our afternoon went downhill. The game was so frustrating to watch. It really could have gone either way, but the salt in the wound was watching the injustice of our team manager, and shortly after Jim Edmonds, getting thrown out of the game by my now arch enemy Phil Cuzzi. This man, in my humble opinion, does not need to be an umpire for the Major Leagues. He is someone who obviously has some personal issues and a hidden agenda. This isn't the first time he has acted irrationally, check out this story: http://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/columnist.jsp?content=20030923_164601_4960 Anyway, despite those hiccups, we continued to watch, me with a worried, tense frown on my face and Brian literally rallying the troops. He put on his Cardinal t-shirt and visor and began cheering and getting the dogs and jumping around and "cheering" (aka barking) for the Cardinals. It was catching (pardon the pun), so we were all so excited. One out and a man on first and third. When the ball was hit, we thought we had a run. Brian started cheering like a crazed mad man, and then...THEN. Oh I can hardly finish, it makes me so sad. The double play that, had I seen against any other team but our Cards, I would think was just gorgeous. Okay,let's face it...it was a damn good play. But it won the third game in a row for the Astros. I had to leave the room and when I did I managed to upset the poor doggies and Brian was worried I was going to put myself into labor. So...shall I watch tonight? We'll see. Come on Cards, lets win this. In spite of and TO SPITE that Phil Cuzzi. For all the world who cheered for the Red Sox last year, let us win. For all the kids and the adults who have loved you since before we learned to walk. And to take us back, again, to our beloved Busch Stadium. Please. Let's WIN this series. It starts with the victory we all know you can win tonight. Let's kill those stupid bees and hush their annoying buzzing once and for all.

2 comments:

Mom Mc said...

5-4 bottom of the 9th. I have all my fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom Mc said...

WE WON......WE WON......WE WON!!!!! Back to Busch Stadium!!!!! YEA