Thursday, November 16, 2006

Happy 1st Birthday Nolan!

Ahh, a year seems like a decade and like a moment ago all at once. Everyone told us how quickly the time goes, how fast the first year will go but when I was blurry eyed from lack of sleep and starved for just 3 hours of consecutive sleep, I thought they were crazy. But oh how I cherish those memories, when my little guy could barely keep his head up. I had no idea what each milestone for him would mean to me. I had no idea that I could be proud of and delighted by such little things. Like turning his head to follow a toy. Like turning the pages of a book for the first time. Like discovering that bath water tastes good, so why not pour a whole bowl full in your mouth? Before Nolan was born, and before I was even pregnant, I had this ridiculous fear that I could never love and truly nurture anyone, anything, as much as I loved my dogs. I worried that I would have this baby and think…ahh, but my dogs are just as cute and cuddly and they are so much less dependant. I laugh as I write this at how ludicrous this sounds. My friend Tammi laughed too and told me to just wait, that I would see. I am happy to say that I still adore my furry babies and my life wouldn’t be complete without them. But comparing them to my son now is funny. It’s just different. So different. I didn’t know I could love like this. I thought I was all “loved out” the day he was born. But here’s the thing. It just kept growing and some days I feel like I am literally going to burst. As his personality begins, just BEGINS to blossom, I am so far gone in love with this little boy. He’s so amazing. He is so full of life and love and when he hugs me, even if it’s the tenth one in an hour, it still melts my heart. When I chase him around the island and then I get him, and he laughs his little belly laugh, I know that this is truly what life is about. I thank God every day, but not enough, for this miracle, my son. Nolan we love you so much and we just can’t wait to see what you have in store for us in the year to come. Happy 1st Birthday my sweet, my turkey, my honey bear, my sugar plum, my pumpkin, my bubbas, my baby boy. Happy Birthday.

7 comments:

Kim and Matt said...

Happy Birthday Nolan!!

momto2boys said...

Happy Birthday Nolan!!! :)

Dawn said...

oh.. Happy Birthday to your "turkey" too cute.

Sally Y said...

Happy Belated Birthday Nolan!

Amanda & Ron Hubbard said...

Nolan! Happy 1st Birthday! We are late, but will have a card in the mail to you soon!

Mom Mc said...

testing 123

liz said...

Happy Birthday big guy! Sam I could not have said it better myself, I feel the same way about Austin.