Saturday, May 10, 2008

Because I'm Your Momma

Hey little man, can you believe we're celebrating our THIRD Mother's Day? Four, if you count when you lived in my tummy, which of course I do!! I thought I would carry on the tradition I started last year, an ode of sorts to you, handsome buddy, for all the immeasurable joy and love you bring into my life.
  • Because I'm your momma, I get eskimo and momma kisses each night before bed. And when I tell you "Night Night Baby" you say "Night Night Baby" right back to me.
  • Because I'm your momma, I know corn and peas are the only veggies you'll eat and that all other veggies are a battle. I also know that you learned to be pretty sneaky somewhere and have actually caught you slyly (so you think) spitting carrots out and putting them on a different area of your plate. Or placing them in your lap.
  • Because I'm your momma I know that your favorite thing in the world is ice cream and I adore watching you relish each and every bite. If only all of us adults could figure out a way to enjoy the little things in life with such joy, we'd live in a better world.
  • Because I'm your momma, I am the one that most often puts you in time out. Which means I have to listen to your sobs and though right now you think it doesn't bother me, or I am mean (or both), someday you will know how my heart breaks. Of course sometimes I'll admit the time outs are as much for me as you, because Nolan, you are a wild child.
  • Because I'm your momma I know you are an independent, wild, all-boy, mischievous, free spirit. If we could bottle your energy we would be billionaires.
  • Because I'm your momma I get to laugh all day long at your facial expressions, which are priceless and unique. And so goofy, but, my oh my, you make me laugh.
  • Because I'm your momma, you take extra special care of me. You always remind me at meals that I'm thirsty. "Momma, get some water (or milk). You thirsty." In the rush to get meals served and all the hullabaloo, I often forget my own drink, but you remember and it's so sweet. You also have recently taken to telling me to drive with both hands. "Momma, use other hand. Like this" (at this point you mimic driving). I didn't even realize I drove with one hand so frequently. But you catch all my bad habits, don't you?
  • Because I'm your momma, I got reprimanded for saying "crap." Shame on me anyway, but I didn't realize you knew it was bad until you pointed your pudgy little finger at me and said, "Momma, don't say that word." Touche.
  • Because I'm your momma I get to listen to you ask "Where are we going?" at least 1,ooo times in any given trip (in town, not long distance). It can drive me batty. It can drive me up a wall. But Nolan baby, I know the day will come where I will miss that sweet voice, asking that same question over and over...where you'll have much more interesting things to do than badger me with questions.
  • Because I'm your momma, I get to make you snug as a bug in a rug at night. You ask like this, "Wub as a wub as a wub?" Even though you could probably say the right words, I haven't the heart to correct you. You'll figure it out soon enough.
  • Because I'm your momma, I get to watch you feed the ducks and fish. And when other kids come along you rush at them and immediately give them a piece of bread without me even suggesting it.
  • Because I'm your momma I get so much joy listening to you say grace and pray at night. I love hearing you say, "YAY GOD!" after you finish. It took me a while to realize you learned that from mom's day out, but I just love it!
  • Because I'm your momma, I know how sensitive you are. Since I am just as sensitive I know two things. Your life will be much more painful when people hurt you. And your life will be much more full because you have the capacity to love much more deeply. I know from personal experience the good outweighs the bad, honey bear, but just know when you are hurting I'm always here and that for everything in this life, there is a season.
  • Because I'm your momma, I know you've had a bit of a tough year. Daddy was gone for four months straight, but you amazed me with your strength and resilience. I hate to say this, but as military dependants, we're just getting started. Our family has experienced other trials as well, but through it all, you were literally an angel, bringing me hope and healing that are immeasurable. We're a closer family because of our trials and our faith in the Lord is only strengthened.
  • Because I'm your momma, I know your best friend is Abby. I know that the first person you ask to see in the morning is Abby and when you get a scrape or bruise, after you're cuddled in my arms you wail, "My Abby!!!" Since she's your best friend, I get to love her lots too and can't imagine your childhood without her. She's a beautiful and amazing and quirky ballerina princess whom we adore. I know that the minute you two see each other you squeal in delight. It's not long before you're fighting over a toy and this often continues for the entire visit, but as soon as it's time to leave, the tears start. Too bad adults can't figure this "lets not hold a grudge thing" out.
  • Because I'm your momma, I not only play monster trucks, I know their names. Grave Digger is your favorite and rightly so, he's pretty cool.
  • Because I'm your momma I know that you when you are truly belly laughing, you almost always get the hiccups. This scared you at first, but now you just keep laughing and ask for some water.
  • Because I'm your momma, I know your favorite color is GREEN.
  • Because I'm your momma, I get to sing to you each night. The same songs, in order. "Star song pleeeease." Next, "sunshine song, please." And finally, "Moon song, please." Sometimes when you are wanting extra cuddles you request "boat" song and demonstrate to me how to row the boat.
  • Because I'm your momma, I get the BEST hugs and kisses in the world...from you, of course. Recently at the beach you were trying to follow me to the car while I got some things out of the car. Cheyna told you to stay by her and I was slightly annoyed you weren't listening better. But when I reached you, you simply said, "Kiss, right here on lips." (and you tapped your lips with your finger, like I often do when I catch a kiss from you across the room). And you gave me a big smacker. You chased me down just for a kiss? This is what dreams are made of my precious.
  • Because I'm your momma, I get to make things all better and cuddle with you when you have a nightmare. It makes my heart hurt that you dream of anything less pleasing than monster trucks, beaches, and ice cream, but please know you'll never be too old for me to comfort you when you do.
  • Because I'm your momma, I could go on and on here, telling you how every little thing you do amazes me and leaves me in awe. I know most mommy's think they have the smartest kid in the world and I'm no exception. Your smarts, coupled with your wit, charm and sensitivity have already made our world a better place and I can't wait to see what the future holds for you. I just wish sometimes it wouldn't get here so quickly. Nolan, to say I love you doesn't do my love for you justice. Thank you for being my baby, my son. Thanks for making me stop and enjoy the little things and sit in the present and be still. Thank you for making me a better person. Our most recent game is the following conversation. I love you ("I love you"). I love you more ("I love you more"). I love you infinity. ("I love you fintty"). I love you infinity times ten!! (I love you...pause...TEN!!!!!). I love you beyond infinity times one hundred thousand my handsome, beautiful son.
And because I'm your momma, I got to be "that" mother who cried when I saw that you made this beautiful picture for me at Mom's Day out.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful. Nolan will be blessed in reading this one day.

Rumour Miller said...

I love that...

momto2boys said...

aw... what a great job! You are blessed to have Nolan as he is blessed to have YOU! Happy Mother's Day friend!

The Vrabecs said...

I need some tissues! Thanks for the kind words about Abby too. Happy Mothers Day to one of the best Mama's I know :)

Anonymous said...

This is just tooooo sweet!Just reading it brought tears to my eyes. I love the request for the kiss on the lips at the beach. We miss miss miss you all!!!!!!!!!! Loves from Gramma and PawPaw