Wednesday, August 31, 2005

FYI English Grammar Alert

Just thought I would let you all know that apparently in recent years there has been a change in what is grammically accepted in spacing. I am sure many of you, like myself, still believe it is expected that we put TWO spaces between sentences. See how nice it looks when I do it? Well, apparently, that is no longer necessary and one space is acceptable. When my dear husband and I got in a debate over who was right, I scoffed that he would argue ME, when I have an English degree. Do I debate engineering? Or nuclear weapons? No, I leave that up to him. However, he pressed the issue, and this morning I was out to prove him wrong and put him in his place. I have humbly been put in mine. It is acceptable to put either one or two spaces. In the past, 2 spaces were needed since people used typewriters and the size of each letter was not proportional. With todays modern computers and word processors', the lettering is all the same proportion, so it is not necessary. You don't believe me? Check it out: http://spider.georgetowncollege.edu/t3/wsr/csc120/wp1spa97.htm And if you find something that is contrary to the above PLEASE let me know ASAP. I don't like being wrong :) Ha ha!

2 comments:

Bethalow said...

Sam you are so funny!!! That is helarious!

JoJo Zawawi said...

Well, it's not actually a grammar point, but a style point. And since style points are at the writer's discretion, you are still RIGHT !!! :D As far as I know, two spaces between sentences are still being used in paper communications; one space usually in web pages, because the HTML spaces are automatically truncated down to one (unless you use a required space code). Ha !!!!!