Monday, June 11, 2007

Vacation Bible School

Last week I was a teacher's helper at our church's VBS. Our class was one of the 4 year old classes and we had 19 kiddos! Luckily we also had 3 youth (high schoolers) helping us "cattle" them around as we joked. We had to use rope that they would each grab onto, like a long leash, and then we would lead them from one activity to the other, constantly looking around to make sure one didn't "escape" or wander off or join another class. Nolan got to go to the nursery during this time. 5 days, 8:30-12:30. I think he had a blast the first half of the week, but wasn't so happy by the end. Wed afternoon I was taking one little girl to the bus and we passed his class and he saw me, but I couldn't get him. I could hear him shouting "Mama" the entire length of the hallway and my heart broke into a million little pieces. I couldn't go get him for another 10 minutes, but it felt like eternity to me...and I think to him, too. He's been extremely clingy all weekend, but that could also be in part to teething/yet another cold (we both got colds from being at VBS). It was truly an amazing week though and it's so awesome to see how much all the kids learn about Jesus. The theme was "Take the Plunge: Jump into Jesus" so it worked out well in decorating the classroom. We live in Florida, so the beach gear was easy to come up with! Here's a picture of the sanctuary, fully decorated (they did such an awesome job, I was awe struck)!

Here are some things I have learned from teaching a class full of 4 year olds:

*They have to go "potty" ALOT (but hey, at least there are no diapers).

*Apparently I am a germaphobic, slightly. I never knew this. Was it having a kid myself? I don't know, but after I held the cute little hands of a 4 year old, I was running to the bathroom to wash my hands.

*Teachers are saints. Seriously. I have never been so wiped out. I have always thought teachers were awesome and a blessing, but now even more so.

*Kids have an endless supply of energy.

*I also learned that being away from Nolan consistently, every day, was much harder on me than I would have liked to think. It was good for both of us, it really was, but oh how I love playing with him and snuggling him and having him make me laugh!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Next year we should definitely teach a class together! See you soon!

Dawn said...

I'm glad you got a taste of teaching... and while it can be exhausting... it is very rewarding!