Monday, August 18, 2008

Book Recommendation

This summer I've really struggled with trying to keep Nolan busy and occupied when we're at home. I feel guilty because although I thought I was a fairly creative person, I have a hard time coming up with fun, new ideas for us to do. I saw on someone's blog a book, called "The Busy Toddler" and decided to give it a try. It's for ages 1-3 year olds. I love it! My only regret is that there's a ton of activities that Nolan is just a little too old for, but would have been fantastic about a year ago. Still, the book has been worth it and has gotten my creative juices flowing! The author, Trish Kuffner, also has a follow up book, "The Busy Pre-schooler" for ages 3-6 that I plan on getting Nolan in the next couple weeks. So, for any moms of toddlers out there, I recommend this book. Most of the activities are made with things I already have around the house and I'm not going out and spending a bundle on, which is why I am a fan!
This was our first project from the book. Crush up fruit loops, color with a glue stick, and put the crushed up cereal on the paper for some cool, abstract art. We used our stale Apple Jack's, but we may use the fruit loops this week since we have a box open, they would most certainly be more colorful!
This one was awesome, it was soooo easy on my part and kept Nolan busy forever and he still loves playing with it. Take a paint stick, glue it to a sturdy paper plate and you have a "paddle" of sorts. Blow up a balloon. Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Vrabecs said...

I am such a slacker, I have had both books since Christmas and have barely used them. I guess I will have to put them to use when we get home from Colorado!!