Monday, November 17, 2008

Nolan's Bday Party

We had Nolan's 3rd birthday party on Saturday at the place he took gymnastics last year. We still go to open gym a couple times a month and Nolan actually loves it more this year (now that he's not in a class) than last. One year makes a huge difference and I really wish it wasn't such a trek or there would be no doubt I would have him in class this year. Anyway, the two ladies who ran his party were sweet and started the kids on an obstacle course, which they followed for a bit, but since most were 3 year olds, they ended up just letting them run wild and the kids had a blast. After an hour of gym time we had pizza and cake, then opened up presents. It all flew by, but it we all had fun.
Here are the kiddos in the gym!
Nolan "bunny hopping" down the tumble track:
Abby & Tristan:Nolan "bear walking"

Brycen:Cameron on the rope:Nolan on the bar:The kids eating pizza & Cake:The cake. Brian and I made this Friday night and it took way longer than I would have expected, but we had a great time. Brian crafted the cake platter, which is engineer quality (the store only sold them in 6 packs and were priced ridiculously and weren't half as sturdy). We crushed up oreos for the road (which we put down over white icing in the shape of the 3) and used the scraped off middle oreo cream as the white lines in the road. The grass is icing, piped by yours truly. It was all worth it to see Nolan's face, he was over the moon for the cake. I know I'm not being very modest here, and I apologize, but Brian and I worked pretty hard and were so happy with the outcome!

I couldn't fit all the way behind the chair (there's a bench back there), so this isn't the best angle for a family, and of course Nolan's not looking, but you get the idea!

Gift opening. Nolan was totally spoiled and we are so grateful for awesome, amazing friends!

4 comments:

Genest Family said...

Wow!! That cake is amazing!! You guys should be soo proud! I wish I could have joined the boys~ I heard they had a blast! Thank you & Happy Birthday Nolan!

Keelee said...

I am very impressed with your cake skills!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOLAN!!!

The Vrabecs said...

Happy Birthday Nolan...the cake was awesome Martha! The party was a blast, thanks for including us :)

Bengela said...

LOVE the cake...I'll have to make 2 for Ben when he turns '33' since he loves cars too! :)