Thursday, June 18, 2009

Daniel's Status

Hi everyone! First of all, Brian and I both apologize for the lack of blog updates. It's been brought to my attention that because we left the last update somewhat open, we have some worried folks. We're so so sorry, and did not intend for that to happen. The same day of Daniel's surgery, we brought Joseph "home" to Grandma and Pa Pa's. As you can imagine, with a newborn, a 3 year old and visiting Daniel in between, we barely have time to eat...and lets not even get into time for showers. Ha! (kidding).

Anyway, Daniel is doing fantastic!!!! He stopped losing blood so quickly later in the day the same day as his surgery. He responded well to everything and this morning they were able to close his chest!! We thought it would be a couple more days, but he was doing so well they did it today. They kept him in his room (less stress than transporting to another floor), closed off his entire ward and sewed him up. It's so amazing they can do all this. Since we've left Tuesday I have yet to see him, but Brian's been up there and tells him how much I love him. I can't drive yet, so Brian and I both have to go to the hospital together, which means leaving Joseph and I think I'm going to gather the courage today or tomorrow. Either way I feel guilty being away from one of my babies, so its kind of a lose-lose. But we're praying we'll all be together very soon.

Joseph is doing great, too. We took him to his 2 day check up today and despite the fact that he seems to be feeding all the time, he's not gaining weight yet. We're going to start supplementing formula every feeding for awhile and also Brian and I have made the decision that I will solely pump for both babies. I will miss the bonding part of breast feeding alot and I'm very sad, but I know it's already very tough with just one baby, so we feel this will be a great way for them to get breast milk and still stay somewhat sane and know exactly how much nutrition they are both getting. And if we have to go to formula only, we'll do that, too, but I really wanted to breast feed for the first few months at least...just a personal goal. Other than that, Joseph sleeps, pees and poops alot. I always thought those parents who had to set their alarms at night to feed their baby were making that up, but if we don't, I'm pretty sure he'll sleep through the night. As tempting as that is, we have to wait until he's 11 pounds at least (and he'll probably be over this much sleeping by then). It's so funny how different he is from Nolan who believed sleeping at night at all as a newborn was a thing for the birds.

Very soon, I'll try to get some pictures up. We have some cute ones of Nolan holding Joseph, who is over the moon for his brother and keeps asking when Daniel is coming home. He is definitely a bit jealous, but so far is nothing but sweet to Joseph. Maybe not quiet, but sweet!

Thanks again for all your prayers. We continue to pray for Daniel's continued good health and speedy recovery, for Joseph's weight gain, and for peace and strength as we adjust to so many changes and things so out of our control. One thing that we've come to realize is just how blessed we are to have so many people who love our family and how blessed we are to have you all in our lives. It's humbling and we feel honored. I should add that all day Tuesday during his surgery, I felt like I should be a ball of nerves, but I was at complete and total peace. I know it was the peace that God layed upon me and we have no doubt it was your prayers that helped. I often felt so weak and tired while in the hospital, so I have not been able to pray like I usually do, but God gently reminded me that all of you were taking care of that for now. So thank you, each and every one of you. We love you all so much and our boys can't wait to meet you!!!

11 comments:

The Vrabecs said...

Thank you for the update and I am so happy that it is such good news. The prayers continue to flow! We love you and think about you guys often :-) Tell Nolan that Abby is thinking about him too!! xoxo

Genest Family said...

What a great update!! Thanks for the keeping us posted, we have been thinking of you ~maybe just a little worried ;) I called Cheyna yesterday to make sure everyone was okay. Can't wait to hear you are all 'home' together as a family!

Unknown said...

That's great news! I'm so happy for all of you, and can't wait to see the pictures.

Calla said...

Great news! I was emailing with Cheyna about you all on Tuesday. Happy to hear everything went well. Will continue praying!
Calla (Friend of Chey's - We have only met once, but I feel like I know you all through her blog!)

Jamie Malone said...

You are all so very strong! We love you dearly and are SO HAPPY and excited to hear the great news on Daniel! You are on SO MANY prayer chains, from Canada to Seattle, to Iowa to Alaska! And everywhere inbetween!!! We can't wait til you are home here in FL! Please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do for you here at this end. Mowing?? Watering?? Just say the word!!! Big hugs! Good job Momma and Papa!! oxoxoxoxox

Kim and Matt said...

We are glad to hear that Daniel is doing so well. We are continually praying for God to lay his healing hands on him and to grant you and Brian peace. We are so excited for your family! Much love to all of you!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! I cannot wait to see photos! Take care!

Beth

Keelee said...

I am very glad to hear that surgery went well. Don't feel guilty about just pumping. You defineately need to know how much milk he is getting so I think it is for the best. I'm doing the same thing after Kyler dropped a pound. So glad to hear Joesph is sleeping so much. I too have to set my alarm..weird! You guys hang in there. Don't worry about showering! Overrated!!! I hope you are able to see Daniel soon. I am sure his progress will be good.

Love

Keelee

The Kendall Family said...

So thrilled to hear the wonderful news and full update! Your hormones must be all over the place, but you truly seem at peace and are handling this all so well!! Way to go! Give your boys a big squeeze and 2 little squeezes!

liz said...

Oh Sam! You are so amazing my dear. I have also felt that same feeling of comfort from God and it truly is so powerful, so amazing. Thank you for updating. We have been praying for your beautiful boys and will continue to. PLease let us know if there's anything we can do to help from afar. Oh and if your milk slows at all from pumping, Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle herbs (3 pills of each, 3 times a day), got my production up quick after I had surgery @ 4 months postpartum.

Rumour Miller said...

Great news!