Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Twins' Birth Story

I know I'm backtracking here, but before time gets away from me too much, I want to record the boys' birth story. We had a scheduled c-section for June 22nd, which was nice because I knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel and because I knew Brian would be there with me. Brian actually had a TDY in St. Louis from June 8-11th at Boeing, so he was in town that week, staying through the weekend. We had joked that it would be nice if the babies would arrive during that time, but it still was a bit on the early side and we never really thought that would happen.

Thursday, June 11th, was Brian's last day to work in St. Louis. The next morning I had a very early ultrasound appointment. Since Brian had a hotel for work that week through Friday, we decided to let Nolan stay with Grandma and Grandpa on Thursday night (all three of us had stayed in the hotel the rest of the week) so we could have a nice dinner out, as well as not have to back track early Friday morning by having to take Nolan back to Grandma's before the doctors appointment. Thursday Brian took me to dinner on the hill, at the very restaurant we had our first date at. I got to wear a pretty dress and we enjoyed stuffing ourselves and reminiscing over the years since our first date. We debated a movie, but decided to call it an early night and headed back to the hotel for the night.

Friday morning we made it to the doctors' by 8 am and we were very excited to have an ultrasound, see the babies and see how they were doing with weight gain. They had been growing so fantastically up till this point, we weren't all that worried. We knew "B" was smaller, but he always consistently grew. Well, not this time. The measurements came back with some not-so-great news. Baby B had barely grown at all, and they were estimating he measured only 4 lbs 9 oz compared to his brother, who was now a whopping 7 lbs 8 oz and had grown about 2 lbs since in the last month. I was immediately upset and I think part of me knew what was coming, but more than anything I just kept wondering if this meant that something terrible was happening to our Baby B. The doctor came in to explain that most likely his placenta was just not working anymore. And dropped the bomb...we'd be meeting the babies today. As soon as she left the room I burst into tears, completely angry at myself that the last night before the babies came we spent apart from Nolan. Looking back later, I realize it all happened as it should, but in that moment, I was heart broken and filled with guilt. And so so scared.

With Nolan it seemed like labor moved at a snails pace. I was in labor for 16 hours before he made his debut. Of course, c-sections are much different, but we were still shocked when they told us that around 1 we would have the c-section. They kept asking what the last thing I ate was, since I was having surgery, and I had to confess that it was, of all things, a cookie. For some reason I was really embarrassed about this. I had eaten a very healthy breakfast, but Brian had put a cookie in my purse for a treat later and when I went scrounging in my purse after the ultrasound the cookie was like a prize! But then I had to tell every single doctor that my last "meal" was a cookie I devoured at 9 am. Lovely! Anyway, before we knew it, it was time. The epidural was not nearly as bad as I had dreaded. In fact the IV I had put in my hand was WAY worse. After my epidural was complete and the curtain was in place, they led Brian in. And minutes later we heard Joseph's cry! Then a bit later we heard (though not as loudly), Daniel. I should add that in the craziness of it all, Brian got messed up and switched the names, telling the nurses Daniel was Baby A and vice versa. So from day one, we already were getting the confused!! I barely got to glimpse at each baby and that was extremely frustrating. Not only did I want to see them, I wanted to hold them!! And snuggle them. And love on them. But I had to be stitched up, I suppose. As far as the surgery, I felt nothing, nada. Not even when they said I would feel pressure, I didn't feel anything...that all came later and still is sore today. But worth it! Time was kind of fuzzy, but I would say it was about an hour or so before I was back in my room and they were giving me Joseph. It was so surreal. I was unable to meet Daniel until the next day when I could feel my legs again and sit in a wheel chair and be wheeled to him. For those of you not from St. Louis, I delivered the babies at one hospital, and the Children's hospital is literally next door, and there is access by walk ways. Daniel was taken to Children's immediately after birth. It was so strange that our parents and even Nolan were able to see Daniel before I was able to. I was also so glad to see Nolan that night when he came for a visit. I cried upon seeing his little face light up when he saw me. Concern passed over his face when he saw me in bed, probably not looking my best. He immediately climbed into bed with me for a kiss and to snuggle and I just can't express the beauty of that moment.

So that is the birth story and how our beautiful twin boys' came into the world a few weeks earlier than we all expected. I was very sad to be finished being pregnant, but so overjoyed to meet my sons and for all the big and small miracles that have followed their sweet little lives. I can't wait to live out the adventures and fun that our three little guys have in store for us. We truly are blessed beyond our wildest imaginations!!!

Here's me after getting into my gown, in total shock that this is my last pregnancy photo. 36 1/2 weeks. Still hard to believe my sweet baby boys were living inside of my belly!!

Brian preparing to join me in surgery! Dr. McHotDaddy:

You really can't see Daniel in this picture, but that's kind of how I felt! They wheeled him immediately to Children's hospital. On the way, they saw our parents and did stop so they could get to see their new grandson!

Joseph being weighed! Born at 7 lbs, but is already up to 8!

3 comments:

Rumour Miller said...

You should be so proud you carried them for 36.5 weeks! Honestly, a night out alone with hubby is exactly what I would have done the night before....

The Vrabecs said...

A beautiful story about a beautiful family. I think everything worked out just the way it was supposed to! Congrats again on your precious little boys!!

The Kendall Family said...

Isn't it funny how everything lined up? I was so sad for Wes too, but I'm sure most of it is hormones! Your boys are all sweet and beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story!