Monday, August 24, 2009

1st Day of 3 YR Preschool

Dear Nolan,

Last week I drove you back to your preschool, but this time preparing you for the "big boy" room in the 3 year old class. As I drove the van, I also drove down memory lane. Last year at this time it was just you and me, kiddo, in the car that was plenty big for our family. We were certainly in the process of wanting another child, but at the time, you were still our only little boy. How could we possibly have known how much our lives would change in one short tiny year? I thought about how excited you were last year to be going to school with Abby and how last year at this time you wouldn't have dreamt of doing a single thing without her. And how this year, we have no choice. Sweet boy, I worried so long and hard about how you would handle this change of losing your best friend to an Air Force move, but you have been so strong. You are such a positive little guy by nature, it amazes me. When I asked you recently if you were sad about Abby's move you said, "No." That made me even more sad until you responded, "It makes me happy because Mister Andrew said I get to go visit her in Arizona."

Anyway, it was strange for me to drive you to school knowing I'd be missing many familiar, friendly faces that have since moved away. Since it rained the entire day prior, it was too muddy to drop you off on the playground and for a second, I thought this would be a problem. You looked at me and there was a moment of question...if you would fuss and not want me to leave, or if you would turn around and go into your new class, with almost all new faces and even a new teacher. I swear a look of brave determination came over your face and you hugged me really tight and told me good-bye. I got in the van and gave a huge sigh of relief. A break for me. Only two kids, not three. And then I cried. And cried most of the day. That fleeting look you gave me reminded me you are ONLY THREE, and not only that, but that three years has flown by and every day that passes is one more I can't get back. It reminded me how much you have had to endure for our family this past year and how awesome you really are, temper tantrums or not.

Nolan, you are amazing and funny and smart and unbelievably clever and creative and loving. We hit the jackpot when we had you as a son. Thank you for being you and for being my son. I love you to pieces sweet boy! Have a great year!!!

Love, Momma

Nolan with his new Thomas the Train lunch box, a surprise that morning!

Nolan in front of his new class:

2 comments:

Mom Mc said...

OK, you're making Gramma cry again! We love you to death Nolan and miss you soooo much!!!

Aaron, Danielle, Jackson, Weston, Beckett & Tucker said...

It's nice to hear us moms all go through similar turmoils! If Nolan's first day makes me cry, I'm going to be such a mess on Jack's first day!