Sunday, September 21, 2008

But I Shared!

This was a conversation I had with Nolan last week when we had the Vrabec's to dinner:

Nolan (running into the kitchen with glee): I eat candy!

Me-Uh huh (busy cooking)

Pause.

Me-What candy?

Nolan (chocolate covering his face)-Candy, from the desk.

Me-(Panicked)-Did you take the wrapper off? Show me!

Nolan-Okay, come on, I'll show you.

I'm taken by the hand to the office where Nolan points out the tinfoil from a Hershey's kiss I had left sitting high on the desk. He (perhaps with an accomplice) had climbed onto the desk, unwrapped it and eaten it. I thought they were playing trains.

Me-Nolan, you CANNOT play on that desk or eat things without asking mommy first! That could have been something bad.

Nolan-But it's not bad. It's candy!

Me-(exasperated)-You need to go sit in time out for eating candy without asking.

Nolan-But, but (crying), I shared with Abby!!!

Yes, I think he may have given her a bite, but from the evidence of chocolate around his mouth, he got the majority. None the less, they both did some time in the corners while we laughed silently at the way their minds work. It's okay to be naughty if we share!!! For the next two days and random times Nolan felt the need to explain to me, over and over, how he had shared the candy with Abby. I couldn't seem to get him to understand it wasn't the sharing that was the issue this time, because that usually is the issue and they were both soooo proud that they had shared without us making them. Then they got in "trouble." I guess it really does seem unfair, in their minds. So, the moral of the story. Our kids shared and it only took forbidden chocolate to make them do it!

2 comments:

Bethalow said...

I love this story! How true is that- to discipline or not to discipline?!!I would have been right there in the kitchen snickering away! Ha!

The Kendall Family said...

Sam, that is so funny! And the shoes...so cute!