Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Grant's Farm

One of the fun things we did while we were in St. Louis was go to Grant's Farm with my parents, who live practically next door. In case you are one of my non-St. Louis-native's reading the blog, here's a snippet of info about Grant's Farm I got from their website: There are many exciting animal encounters possible at Grant's Farm, the 281-acre ancestral home of the Busch family, located just south of the city of St. Louis. The Farm is home to more than 1,000 animals representing more than 100 different species from six continents. Grant's Farm, operated by Anheuser-Busch, Inc., has been a St. Louis tradition for over five decades. More than 24 million guests have visited this popular family attraction during its history. The Farm takes its name from our 18th President of the United States, Ulysses S. Grant. In the 1850s, Grant founded and farmed a portion of the 281 acres. Today, this land is home to Grant's Farm and is preserved as a living symbol of the Busch family's love for animals and Anheuser-Busch's commitment to wildlife conservation and preservation. We started the day off with a train ride to the animals and then we let Nolan feed the goats. These are some tough (and hungry) goats. I have pictures of Brian and I both as kids where the goats are chomping on our shorts. Time has not made these goats any less pushy, but they didn't seem to bother Nolan whatsoever. He just giggled as they swarmed around him for nibble at the "baby" bottle full of goat milk. Then we wandered around for a bit, looked at different animals and then went to a show, where they do cool animal tricks. Nolan was interested for most of it, but near the end was done...I can't blame him. So we headed to the garden area and had a free beer (anyone 21 or over can get 2 free beers). Mom and Dad treated us to lunch and then we played some more and headed home! Nolan was asleep before we left the parking lot. On the train with Grammie & Grampie: Feeding the goats:

Looking at chickens, I think and oddly enough a Guinea pig!

Ooh, Daddy, I can see the elephant from here, your shoulders are the best seat in the house!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Glad you had fun at GF. I was just thinking I should take my cosuins before my baby comes. I love those crazy goats!

Jenn said...

Awww...I LOVE Grant's Farm! I was just mentioning to Jeff the other day how I missed it and he said that *gasp* he'd never been there!!

*sigh* Too bad the only time we visit St. Louis is at Christmas!

Keelee said...

Gotta love free beer! Thanks for the nice words about CS. I got an interview Monday...I think I may even like it there!

Mom Mc said...

Nolan looks so at ease by all those goats. I don't think he has a fear of anything.