Saturday, January 27, 2007

Bittersweet

I am sure some of you remember from pictures or visiting us that we bought Nolan an antique-looking scale for his nursery. It didn't really work, but it was beautiful. Here's a picture of it in his nursery in Cheyenne:
This was the first item for his room we bought...and other than a stuffed giraffe, it was the first thing we bought him at all. We were on vacation in Friday Harbor, WA and I was 6 wks preggers, still walking with my head in the clouds (which I did throughout my entire pregnancy). We found this little privately owned boutique and fell in love with this scale and had to literally beg the woman to ship it for us, as we knew it wouldn't make it on the plane in our carry on. The store owner must have seen the desperation in our eyes and caved. Somehow it just fit perfectly into the room, even though we didn't plan around it. And it looked good in his new room here in FL. But now that he's such a big boy he kicks it and grabs it when on the changing table and at least once a day it almost topples over. As my friend Cheyna said, it would be much more heart breaking if it broke than just putting it away. So I retired it. On the bottom of the scale was a recieving blanket I had laid down to put all his creams and powders & wipes on. I smelled it...oh, it was such a beautiful new baby smell...still! I didn't cry, but I came pretty close. So, now that we have space we put out his goose, which is a nightlight that has a cassette player and it tells bed time stories (like Mother Goose). It was Uncle Nathan's, so we are taking good care of it so that when he has kiddos he can use it, too. Nolan loves to say "Juice" and since Goose rhymes with Juice, he picked up on pointing to him and calling him Goose very quickly! So cute!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

It was fun to read your post because Jer and I have just started getting things ready for the nursery! The goose sounds cool!

Mom Mc said...

Aw It looks good in the bedroom. Glad you are able to put it to use. The lullabye is really soothing . Nathan and I use to listen to that the most. Love Grandma.

Pigletrio said...

I havent read your blog,just had to say I love the lamp - I used to have one as a kid and completely forgot about it til I was watching Requiem For A Dream last night and saw it in the background haha


Sorry for being random!